TASSEL BEADED FLIP FLOPS DIY
Summer is all about fun and color.
What better way to do that than with these fun Tassel Beaded Flip Flops. A little bit of embellishment makes these Summer basics a hot new accessory.
Supplies to make your Tassel Beaded Flip Flops:
- 1 Pair of flip flops
- 10 Large beads
- 8 Small beads
- 3 Skeins embroidery floss
- 2 Yards of ribbon
- Needle & thread
- Hot glue
- Beading needle
Starting at the base of your flip flops, apply a small amount of hot glue to attach your ribbon. Wrap your ribbon around the straps of your flip flops until they are completely covered.
Take a piece of your ribbon, about 4-5 inches long and wrap it back and forth across the center “V” of your flip flop straps, securing it with hot glue on both ends.
Making your tassels.
• Take your embroidery thread and cut 2 short pieces about 3 – 4 inches long each, set them aside.
• Take the end of your embroidery floss and holding it between your thumb and fore finger, wrap it around your thumb about 8 – 10 times.
• Carefully slide it off your thumb and slide one of the short pieces you cut through the embroidery floss you just wrapped. Pull it tight and tie.
• Cut one end of your wrapped embroidery floss, squeeze them together and wrap the top about 1/4 inch down from the top with the 2nd short piece of emb floss and tie tightly. Trim your ends.
• Using your beading needle thread your top threads through your beading needle and then through one of your large beads.
• You will make 10 tassels with the large beads and 8 tassels without beads.
• I also made 2 (out of the 10 tassels) a little bit larger, wrapping them around both my thumb and fore finger. These are the tassels I used as the center tassels.
Sew your tassels to your flip flops.
• For all the tassels with beads I tied a knot at the top of the bead and this is where I sewed then to the flip flops. I also then put a small amount of hot glue just under the large bead to help hold it in place.
• For the tassels without large beads I sewed them to the flip flops by sewing through the top of the tassel.
• I alternated tassels with beads with tassels without beads.
• I then sewed my smaller beads along the top, evenly spaced between the tassels.
I love Summer and the warmer weather and what better way to enjoy the Summer sun than with fun accessories in bright colors with beads and tassels. Yes, I did say tassels! If you’re not quite in the mood for tassels check out another flip flop DIY I did with just beads and ribbons here. WIth either pair you can’t go wrong this Summer both are on trend and just what the weather ordered.